Friday, July 1, 2022

He Wants What I Need

It is not the healthy who need the doctor, but the sick. Go and learn the meaning of the words: What I want is mercy, not sacrifice. And indeed I did not come to call the virtuous, but sinners.
Mt.9:12,13

Jesus overhears criticism of his attending a feast hosted by Matthew the tax collector. He responds by clarifying what drives his mission... mercy for sinners.

Mercy makes me nervous. It hints of wrong doers getting off scot free, of not receiving justice. That's exactly what Jesus is talking about... and it's at the heart of the Good News. Sinners get off scot free... or to make it clearer, I get off scot free. Jesus wants what I need. Mercy.

Outrageous? Yes. Grace? Yes. Do I need this? Absolutely, so who am I to deny it from anyone else.

Jesus, forgive me for being so quick to judge and call down fire from heaven. Have mercy on me Lord so I can be merciful to others.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: