Thursday, June 16, 2022

Forgive the Failings

‘Yes, if you forgive others their failings, your heavenly Father will forgive you yours; but if you do not forgive others, your Father will not forgive your failings either.’
Mt.6:15

In his sermon on the mount Jesus has just given the Lord's Prayer as an example of how to pray. He underscores the verse on forgiveness, "And forgive us our debts, as we have forgiven those who are in debt to us." For Jesus, this was the verse that we most need help to activate.

An unforgiving Christian is an oxymoron, a contradiction To call myself a Christian means to call myself one who forgives. There's no way around this. Jesus has made it indisputable. If I want to be forgiven by him (and I need to be) then I must forgive others first.

I have no great anger towards anyone over an injustice. But, I do hold opinions and judgements towards others. These are the tips of potential icebergs of unforgiveness. They need to be eradicated, starting today...

Jesus, help me forgive even when there's no likelihood of it being acknowledged. Help me be rid of my petty judgements of others before they fester into resentment and unforgiveness.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: