Thursday, April 14, 2022

Wash Their Feet

‘Do you understand’ he said ‘what I have done to you? You call me Master and Lord, and rightly; so I am. If I, then, the Lord and Master, have washed your feet, you should wash each other’s feet. I have given you an example so that you may copy what I have done to you.’
Jn.13:12-15

Jesus has washed the disciples feet at the Last Supper. He explains what he has done is an example for them to follow, an example of humble servanthood.

I love having my feet massaged. I'm not so keen on doing it for others. Why? Because it's an effort from which I get no benefit. Yet here is Jesus doing just that and saying I am to copy him, not so much the washing of feet but the attitude of humble servanthood. It's a struggle. I prefer being served than serving.

I think this is one of those areas where I just have to start by pretending. I can pretend I like serving and then serve. I think what happens is the more I do this the easier it will become until, one day, I will serve without pretending. It's the long pathway to perfection that Jesus calls me to, starting from today.

Thank you Jesus for your example of humble servanthood. Help me follow your example. I want to be more like you.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: