Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Not I Surely?

Judas, who was to betray him; asked in his turn, ‘Not I, Rabbi, surely?’ ‘They are your own words’ answered Jesus.
Mt.26:25

At the Last Supper Jesus declares that someone is about to betray him. Each of the disciples declares innocence of the accusation, including the eventual betrayer Judas.

Each disciple, excepting John, was to abandon Jesus. Peter was to deny him three times. Judas betrayed him for thirty pieces of silver. The difference is that the disciples allowed themselves to be eventually forgiven and restored. Judas didn't and hanged himself. 

I've betrayed Jesus each time I've sinned. I've declared "Not I, surely?" then handed over the nails for him to be crucified. Do I stay in condemnation or accept the forgiveness of Jesus and be restored? 

Jesus, I'm sorry for the times I have betrayed you. Forgive me Lord and restore me back into right relationship with you.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: