Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Free Indeed

‘I tell you most solemnly,
everyone who commits sin is a slave.
Now the slave’s place in the house is not assured,
but the son’s place is assured.
So if the Son makes you free,
you will be free indeed.
Jn.8:34-36

The Jewish people are disputing Jesus over their sonship and the sonship of Jesus. Jesus points out their sonship has been forfeited by their slavery to sin, a slavery from which only he can give freedom.

Freedom from sin is the ultimate freedom I can receive. It's the "free indeed" that Jesus talks about.  This freedom brings with it peace and joy. I've experienced both the slavery and the freedom. Sin's first job is to make me forget about my freedom, my sonship in exchange for its empty promises. 

I step into today a free man, a son and heir, thanks to my liberation by Jesus. Keep this firmly in front of me and today I will be free indeed.

Jesus, truly you are the Son of the living God. You have set me free indeed.


No comments: