Sunday, April 3, 2022

Pride

He looked up and said, ‘Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?’ ‘No one, sir’ she replied. ‘Neither do I condemn you,’ said Jesus ‘go away, and do not sin any more.’
Jn.8:10,11

The Pharisees test Jesus by bringing a woman caught in the very act of adultery, who is undeniably guilty. Jesus cuts straight to the most serious sin before him, the pride of the Pharisees. In their shame, the Pharisees leave the woman uncondemed. 

Oh don't we love this story! Why is that? Maybe because we love seeing the Pharisees outwitted so superbly by Jesus. Maybe because of compassion for the woman as we ask"And where is the man?" Maybe because Jesus' reprieve for the woman we hope to gain for ourselves. Maybe all of the above...

What impresses me is how Jesus goes out of his way to give the woman back her dignity. The custom was to strip those guilty of adultery. The woman would have been standing at least half naked. Yet Jesus placed himself lower still, sitting on the dirt. He literally looked up to her.  He does the same for me. When I stand naked before him and authentically confess my sinfulness he gives me back my dignity, my sonship and says ‘Neither do I condemn you. Go away, and do not sin any more.'

Jesus, please forgive me my sin of pride when I am so ready to throw stones. With your help I will try not to sin again.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: