Thursday, April 7, 2022

I Am

The Jews then said, ‘You are not fifty yet, and you have seen Abraham!’ Jesus replied:
‘I tell you most solemnly,
before Abraham ever was,
I Am.’
At this they picked up stones to throw at him; but Jesus hid himself and left the Temple.
Jn.8:58,59

The Jews continue to argue with Jesus, calling him possessed. He then settles the matter as to who he says he is by giving himself the sacred name of God, "I Am". The infuriated Jews try to stone him.

This is another moment where, even today, we have to settle the question as to who Jesus is. He's either mad, as the Jews asserted, bad as they believed in their rage, or who he says he is, the great I Am. 

All the evidence I have read and seen supports Jesus' claim. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. He is my rock on whom I stand today.

My hope is built on nothing less 
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness
I dare not trust the sweetest frame
But wholly lean on Jesus' name

On Christ the solid rock I stand
All other ground is sinking sand
All other ground is sinking sand

Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: