Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Forgiven Restored and Raised

Peter said to him, ‘Why can’t I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.’ ‘Lay down your life for me?’ answered Jesus. ‘I tell you most solemnly, before the cock crows you will have disowned me three times.’
Jn.13:37,38

At the Last Supper Peter declares his loyalty to Jesus but Jesus refutes this, foretelling Peter's approaching denial and apostasy.

Peter is oh so human. His spirit is willing but his flesh is weak. This makes him relatable. I see myself in him. His denial of Jesus three times is Peter's low point. Yet, he ends up being forgiven, restored and raised to the role of leader of the early Church.

There is still hope for me yet. When I deny Christ and sin Satan wants to keep me there, condemned and hopeless.  Jesus says no, I am forgiven, restored and raised to my true position as a Son of God and co-heir. This is my true identity today.

I'm the one who held the nail
It was cold between my fingertips
I've hidden in the garden
I've denied You with my very lips

God, I fall down to my knees
With a hammer in my hand
You look at me, arms open

Forgiven! Forgiven!
Child there is freedom from all of it
Say goodbye to every sin
You are forgiven!

Crowder - Forgiven


No comments: