Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Rich Soil

And there are those who have received the seed in rich soil: they hear the word and accept it and yield a harvest, thirty and sixty and a hundredfold.
Mk.4:20

Jesus is explaining the parable of the sower to his disciples. Many hear the Word of God but it doesn't take root in them. However, some hear the Word and it transforms them into fruit bearers for God.

It depends on the soil. Is my soil shallow and rocky or a rich, fertile loam? As a non-believer my soil was rocky and full of weeds. Worries of the world and the lure of riches certainly bound my roots. My step of faith broke the rocks and loosened up the soil. Joining a church fertilised it. My morning prayer time waters it.

All this is to one end, to produce a harvest. The size of the harvest will be a measure of my soil's fertility. A hundredfold? Yes Lord, starting today.

Jesus, I want to be fertile soil. Break up the rocks. Pull out the weeds. Loosen the soil. Bring in a harvest.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

 

No comments: