Friday, January 28, 2022

Mercy

Have mercy on me, God, in your kindness. In your compassion blot out my offence. O wash me more and more from my guilt and cleanse me from my sin.
Ps.50:1,2

After being convicted by Nathaniel the prophet of adultery with Bathsheba and murder of her husband Uriah, David turns to God, repents and begs for mercy.

Adultery and murder are heinous crimes in the secular world let alone against the laws of God. David had a choice to sink in despair under the weight of his sins or turn back to God and plead for mercy. That he chose the later I think distinguishes him as a man after God's heart (1 Sam. 13:14).

David's sad fall from grace through sexual sin is not new. It demonstrates a malady that inflicts both paupers and princes. That God did forgive David, although David still had to carry his actions consequences, shows the wonderful mercy of God. 

The Pharisee in me wants to see David burn for this. The sinner in me rejoices at the saving mercy of God. Perhaps I in turn can be more merciful to others.

Jesus, you know my weaknesses yet you love me still. Help me be a chanel of mercy and grace to those I encounter today.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me

No comments: