Thursday, January 13, 2022

Compulsive Compassion

A leper came to Jesus and pleaded on his knees: ‘If you want to’ he said ‘you can cure me.’ Feeling sorry for him, Jesus stretched out his hand and touched him. ‘Of course I want to!’ he said. ‘Be cured!’ And the leprosy left him at once and he was cured. 
Mk.1:40,41

Jesus has started his public ministry and is gaining fame for healing. His compulsive compassion for the leper led Jesus to break Mosaic Law and touch him. The leper is instantly healed.

Jesus almost rebukes the leper for inferring his compassion was conditional. "If you want to..." Jesus' compassion isn't conditional. It's compulsive. He can't help but love us. He can't help but love me. 

Sometimes I doubt Jesus' love for me. How could he after what I have just done/thought/not done? This is from the devil who wants me to doubt my beliefs and believe my doubts. Jesus calls me to doubt my doubts and believe my beliefs, especially my belief in his love for me. I step into today knowing I am infinitely loveable and infinitely loved.

Jesus, I receive your love. Help me be compulsively compassionate to others I meet today.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: