Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Fishing with a Cracked Pot

Jesus showed himself to the Eleven and said to them: ‘Go out to the whole world; proclaim the Good News to all creation.
Mk.16:15

The risen Jesus has shown himself to the eleven Apostles. After rebuking them for not believing reports of his resurrection, he commissions them to go and preach the Good News.

So, what is the Good News? We proclaim it at every Mass in the Mystery of Faith. One version says "Christ has died, Christ is Risen, Christ will come again." The Good News is based on Jesus' death and then his glorious resurrection.

Jesus is insistent the Good News is not just for a select few. It's for the whole world. Right from its beginning the Church has been commanded to go fishing. I can go fishing using the Alpha Course. I can also go fishing by the example of my life when interacting with people day to day... starting today.

Jesus, I have so many weaknesses. Sometimes I feel phoney when trying to proclaim your Good News. You used the cracked pots that were your disciples. Use me.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

No comments: