Friday, July 22, 2022

Go Tell

‘Do not cling to me, because I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go and find the brothers, and tell them: I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’ So Mary of Magdala went and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord and that he had said these things to her.
Jn.20:17,18

Grieving Mary Magdalen is met by the risen Jesus outside the empty tomb. She recognises Jesus when he calls her name and her grief is turned to joy. Jesus then commissions her as the Church's very first evangelist. "Go tell..."

Mary Magdalen's name is mentioned only second to Peter's in number of times in the New Testament. She was the first to demonstrate what a disciple of Jesus did. Go tell the Good News that Jesus is alive. She continues to be held up by the Church as the great evangelistic example. Today is her feast day.

My commissioning couldn't be clearer. Go tell... If I'm not doing that I'm not being an authentic disciple. 

Lord Jesus, you are alive! Holy spirit, fill me zeal to tell this Good News.
Saint Mary Magdalen, please pray for me. 


No comments: