Friday, July 15, 2022

Messy Mercy

And if you had understood the meaning of the words: What I want is mercy, not sacrifice, you would not have condemned the blameless. For the Son of Man is master of the sabbath.
Mt.12:7,8

The Pharisees accuse Jesus' followers of breaking the law by picking and eating ears of corn on the sabbath.  Jesus defends his disciples saying that as master of the sabbath he calls for mercy not sacrifice. 

Jesus roused his greatest opposition when dispensing mercy. It's the same with the Church today. We clamour for justice on others but plead mercy for ourselves. The law is crisp and clean, easy to administer. Mercy is messy. Sometimes when given it's not even acknowledged. It's regarded as a weakness. 

Yet, there it is in black and white. Jesus wants mercy. I am called to be a conduit of mercy if I am to consider myself an authentic follower of Christ.

Jesus, the Pharisee in me judges by the law. Help me be known as a person of mercy.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: