Friday, July 8, 2022

Cunning but Harmless

Jesus instructed the Twelve as follows: ‘Remember, I am sending you out like sheep among wolves; so be cunning as serpents and yet as harmless as doves.
Mt.10:16

Jesus is warning the Apostles of the persecutions they will face because of his name. They are to be cunning yet harmless.

Jesus says it plainly. They (and we) will be hated because of his name. So why did they do it anyway? Because, says Jesus, by standing firm to the end they will be saved. All except Judas were to stand firm to the end and all except John had a martyr's death. 

I think the message here is that I have been given a brain and I'm to use it but use it in love. Following Jesus is not going to be all beer and skittles but by pushing on through the rewards are more than worth it. 

Jesus, you were cunning but harmless. Help me be the same as I meet with opposition to pushing for your kingdom to come.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: