Saturday, November 27, 2021

Spiritual Gym

Stay awake, praying at all times for the strength to survive all that is going to happen, and to stand with confidence before the Son of Man.
Lk.21:36

Jesus is in the temple giving his final teachings before his passion and death. Like the Church at the end of the calendar year, Jesus' focus is firmly on what is to happen at the end of time and Day of Judgement. His appeal is to be ready and be strong.

"Pray for strength to survive" sounds a bit dramatic, but there it is. Jesus clearly says times will be tough and the weak in faith will fall. The Church is my spiritual gym, the place where I work out to stay fit and strong in my beliefs. Like physical training, it is easier when I do it with others. I need the people in my parish to push me further up and further in. 

Thank you Jesus for my faith community. Bless them Lord. Help us to encourage each other in our spiritual exercises so we may be strong on the day of your return.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us.

No comments: