Saturday, November 20, 2021

Death, Where is Your Victory?

Now he is God, not of the dead, but of the living; for to him all men are in fact alive.
Lk.20:38

Jesus is answering the Sadducees who don't believe in the resurrection and had tried trapping Jesus with a trick question about a widow marrying seven brothers. He says there is no marriage in heaven as everyone in heaven no longer dies.

Interestingly, Jesus is inferring that marriage is primarily for procreation, for bringing children into the world to carry on life. Consequently, in heaven where no one dies, marriage is not required. More importantly, Jesus is emphatic that there is a resurrection, there is life in heaven after death for those judged worthy. 

Is there life after death is one of the big questions for people. Not for believers. For us it's a given. It's my source of hope and joy. It's what drives me to bother evangelising at all. The fact that I will die does not worry me. How I will die could give concern, but even that I entrust to Jesus. 

Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?
1 Corinthians 15:55

Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us.

No comments: