Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Loose Weight

If any man comes to me without hating his father, mother, wife, children, brothers, sisters, yes and his own life too, he cannot be my disciple. Anyone who does not carry his cross and come after me cannot be my disciple.
Lk.14:26,27

Jesus is being mobbed by an adulating crowd, so he sets a challenge before them to test their resolve. Don't bother following me unless you are prepared to give up everything.

Jesus isn't a fad or a sideshow. He demands all or nothing. Possessions and even people can get in the way, be an encumbrance to becoming a disciple. This is challenging. I like things and I like people, especially their high opinion. 

When I look at the lives of the saints, or even saintly people I have met, there is a simplicity in their lifestyle. Things just aren't that important to them, where as Jesus is. 

Where can I simplify my life, cut away the baggage? And how can I do that? It's a "less of me, more of him" thing. It's time to loose weight.

Holy Spirit, help me loose weight, shed unimportant stuff that weighs me down and doesn't lift me up.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


 

No comments: