Thursday, November 4, 2021

Rescued

The Pharisees and the scribes complained. ‘This man’ they said ‘welcomes sinners and eats with them.’
Lk.15:2

Jesus welcomes tax collectors and sinners. The resulting indignation among the Pharisees and Scribes prompts Jesus to tell his famous parable of the lost sheep.

The Pharisees and Scribes can't see that their complaint is actually a proclamation of good news. Yes, Jesus welcomes sinners. Alleluia! This is good news because it means Jesus welcomes me. 

Satan's biggest lie is that I am unworthy, miserably lost in my sinfulness. The truth given in today's Gospel is that, while I am unworthy, I am never lost. Jesus has set off and found me. He carries me home across his shoulders and calls for a party to celebrate. 

Along with the tax collectors and sinners, I rejoice in this good news today.

You rescued me, and picked me up 
A living hope, of grace revealed 
A life transformed, in righteous 
Oh Lord, you have rescued me 
Forgiving me, you healed my heart 
And set me free, from sin and death 
You brought me life, 
you've made me whole 
Oh Lord you have rescued me

Geoff Bullock

Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us.

No comments: