Monday, January 30, 2023

Come in Lord and Stay

They came to Jesus and saw the demoniac sitting there, clothed and in his full senses – the very man who had had the legion in him before – and they were afraid. 
Mk.5:15

Jesus has just delivered an uncontrollable demoniac of a legion of demons, sending the demons into stampeding pigs. The violent uproar brings out the townspeople who are confounded and afraid by the events.

This event in Jesus ministry is powerful and unsettling. It raises questions like, why were the people afraid, why did they beg Jesus to leave instead of rejoicing at God's power and bringing their sick to be healed?

When faced with God's indisputable power, I'm faced with a choice that invariably involves change. Do I accept that God is God and live accordingly... or not. The "or not" means to not change, to stay in my sinfulness. 

I still have areas in my life where sin prevails and I cling to it like a cuddly rug. It's time to let those sins go into the pigs and then turn and sit at Jesus' feet, fully clothed. 

Jesus, I know there are areas in my life where I ask you to go away. I open the doors in those areas and invite you to come in and stay. 
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: