Thursday, January 5, 2023

Active Love

After Jesus had decided to leave for Galilee, he met Philip and said, ‘Follow me.’
Jn.1:43

Jesus meets Philip and extends an invitation, "Follow me". Philip's response is not only to follow but to invite his friend Nathanael to "Come and see", thus completing the circle of Christian evangelisation. "What do you want?"... "Come and see".. "Follow me".

The first chapter of John's gospel shifts from mystical to practical. The Word of God becomes the flesh of God, a man. A man with a name, Jesus. This man is dynamic, reaching out to others."What do you want?"... "Come and see".. "Follow me".

These are the three steps of evangelism, not only for converting others but also for converting me. The crunch point is Jesus' invitation, "Follow me." My yes or no to that determines my day, my year, my life. 

My "Yes" always involves the decision to love.  As John writes in today's first reading, "Our love is not to be just words or mere talk, but something real and active." Today is a good time to follow Jesus with a love that is real and active.


Jesus, some days it's easy to follow you. Other days it's hard. Help my love today be real and active so I may truly follow you.
Saint John, please pray for me.


No comments: