Monday, January 16, 2023

Balance

As long as they have the bridegroom with them, they could not think of fasting. But the time will come for the bridegroom to be taken away from them, and then, on that day, they will fast.
Mk.2:19,20

John the Baptist's disciples cannot understand why Jesus' disciples do not fast. Jesus replies, they will fast but at the right time.

As the Psalm says, there is a time for every purpose under heaven. There is a time for celebrating and a time for fasting. Celebrating is more joyous because of fasting and the fasting is more purposeful and deep because of the celebration. Each, in a strange way, contributes to the experience of the other as darkness shows the power of light. It is about balance, about knowing when.

Jesus, help me be balanced. When I celebrate, let me do it with joy and when I fast, let me do it with purpose and resolve. 
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: