Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Come and See

John stared hard at him and said, ‘Look, there is the lamb of God.’ Hearing this, the two disciples followed Jesus. Jesus turned round, saw them following and said, ‘What do you want?’
Jn.1:36-38

John the Baptist identifies Jesus as Messiah and two of his disciples immediately leave him to follow Jesus. On noticing them following him, Jesus speaks his first recorded words, the question "What do you want?"

 "What do you want?" A good question. What do I want from today, from this year, from my life? The implication is that Jesus expects me to be intentional, not to simply drift through life being tossed this way and that. Andrew and the other disciple, most likely John the Apostle, replied they wanted to know where Jesus lived. Jesus' second recorded words are an invitation, "Come and see."

Come and see where Jesus lives. This is the answer to every possible question. How am I going to get through today, through this year, through my life? If I invite him in, Jesus lives in every situation I find myself and where he lives there is hope, peace, joy, love, in fact... life in all its fullness. 

Jesus, I want to come and see you in my day. I choose today to not only follow you but to walk beside you.
Saint's John and Andrew, please pray for me.


No comments: