Tuesday, August 16, 2022

When All is Made New

What are we to have, then?’ Jesus said to him, ‘I tell you solemnly, when all is made new and the Son of Man sits on his throne of glory, you will yourselves sit on twelve thrones to judge the twelve tribes of Israel. 
Mt.19:27,28

Jesus has just warned that material riches can be an impediment to gaining the kingdom of heaven. Peter protests, asking what is the reward of the disciples who left everything to follow him. Jesus replies, in this life nothing but your freedom. However, in the next....

There is an eternal perspective that is essential to following Jesus. In this world the advantages can seem very few. Professing my faith gains me little kudos and much derision.  In some countries declared Christian faith can cost your life. And yet, we declare it.

I need to keep one eye firmly fixed on the promise Jesus gives. "When all is made new...", every tear is wiped away and I will share in his glory.

Jesus, your faith in the kingdom of God cost you your life. Give me faith that is based on your promises so I can endure the hardships it brings here on earth. Not only endure but call others to join me.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: