Saturday, August 20, 2022

A Great Servant

The greatest among you must be your servant. Anyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and anyone who humbles himself will be exalted.’
Mt.23:11,12

Jesus is warning about the hypocrisy of the Pharisees, saying at best they are an example of something to be avoided. Humility is the key to greatness.

There's something in me that desires the limelight. Celebrity culture has its effect. In the world, humility is seen as a weakness. To be great is to be rich, handsome, powerful and brainy. Jesus says no. To be great I must be a servant placing others needs before my own. 

This upside down world Jesus depicts seems, well... upside down. Actually, it's the right way up. Today I can practice at being a great servant.

Jesus, you know my natural inclination is to be served rather than serve. Help me right myself and become a servant to those I encounter today.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: