Friday, August 26, 2022

Get the Real Oil

The foolish ones did take their lamps, but they brought no oil, whereas the sensible ones took flasks of oil as well as their lamps. 
Mt.25:3,4

Jesus is telling the Parable of the Ten Virgins to describe the kingdom of heaven. The five foolish ones have the appearance of readiness for the bridegroom but have no resources. The five wise are equipped and resourced, allowing them in the end to be received into the wedding banquet.  

Faith is an inside out job. I can have the appearances of a believer but with no inner spiritual oil I'm just a sham not worthy of the kingdom of God. I need to keep my spiritual tank topped up, ready to meet Jesus whenever he returns. 

How do I keep my oil topped up? This morning prayer is a good start. The sacraments are further bowsers where I can fill up. It would be good to get to Mass today...

Thank you Jesus that you bend over backwards to make your oil available to me. It's still my responsibility to seek and receive it. Help me do that today.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: