Friday, August 5, 2022

Find Life

Jesus said to his disciples: ‘If anyone wants to be a follower of mine, let him renounce himself and take up his cross and follow me. For anyone who wants to save his life will lose it; but anyone who loses his life for my sake will find it.
Mt.16:24,25

Jesus has just described how he is to suffer and die then rise again. It was the whole plan of salvation but Peter couldn't get past the suffer and die bit. Jesus underscores suffering and dying to find new life is part and parcel of following him.

We tend to think "taking up your cross" means picking up a heavy burden. Jesus' listeners knew what a cross was, a hideous instrument of suffering and death. Being a Christian involves dying. But I mustn't be like Peter and miss the main goal of the plan... a new, resurrected and eternal life. 

Jesus, I'm constantly having to lose my life. I grasp it with desperate hands. Help me always keep one eye firmly on the end goal... new found life. 
Saint Peter, please pray for me.

No comments: