Thursday, August 18, 2022

Clothed in Christ

“How did you get in here, my friend, without a wedding garment?” And the man was silent. Then the king said to the attendants, “Bind him hand and foot and throw him out into the dark, where there will be weeping and grinding of teeth.” For many are called, but few are chosen.’
Mt.22:11-14

To describe what heaven is like, Jesus tells the parable of the wedding banquet. In the parable the king hosting the banquet sees a man ill dressed for the event and has him banished outside.

I have to remind myself this is a description of heaven. Heaven is not a place where all people will float in and settle for eternity. Yes, all are invited but Jesus depicts strict criteria for admission; primarily, being correctly dressed. 

So what is this wedding garment I need? Saint Paul tells us in Galatians 3:27: "for all of you who were baptised into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ."  I must be "clothed in Christ" through baptism. This sharpens my focus not only on my own relationship with Jesus but also on others relationships with him. They need to know him so they can accept him and be clothed in him.

Jesus, our Alpha Course is about to start. Help me keep an eternal perspective as to why we are doing this; to bring more to the wedding banquet clothed in you.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us. 


No comments: