Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Commitment

Another to whom he said, ‘Follow me’, replied, ‘Let me go and bury my father first.’ But he answered, ‘Leave the dead to bury their dead; your duty is to go and spread the news of the kingdom of God.’
Lk.9:59,60

Luke records Jesus challenging three men who profess to want to follow him but with conditions. Jesus is clear that being his disciple is unconditional and requires total commitment. 

Commitment is an old fashioned word these days. We all want to keep our options open, especially when it comes to challenging our earthly comforts. Like all ministries both secular and religious, when I'm calling a team together it's unusual to get total commitment. The yes is usually qualified. 

How about my commitment? Being Christian is a "through thick and thin" thing or it's not authentic. I like to think I'm a committed Christian, but am I really? Do I append a "but let me go and..." to my yes? 

Jesus, convict me when I start compromising. Let my fiat mean "Let it be done" as your mother said. 
Holy Mary, Mother of God, please pray for me.


No comments: