Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Cheerful Giver

Each one should give what he has decided in his own mind, not grudgingly or because he is made to, for God loves a cheerful giver. And there is no limit to the blessings which God can send you.
2Cor.9:7,8

Paul encourages the Church at Corinth to be exemplary in generosity, a virtue in which God will never be outdone.

Today is the feast day of Saint Laurence who is revered for his generosity in almsgiving to the poor. The opposite of generosity is miserliness which is where my compass tends to point. I joke about my scottish tight-bum but it aint no joke. 

God has given me a wife who is generous, both materially and in time. She has no problem stuffing twenty dollar notes into the letterbox of needy families. I do. 

Jesus, I want to be a cheerful giver that you love. Help me be a generous person today.
Saint Laurence, please pray for me.


No comments: