Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Generosity

I choose to pay the last comer as much as I pay you. Have I no right to do what I like with my own? Why be envious because I am generous?” Thus the last will be first, and the first, last.
Mt.20:14-16

Jesus is explaining again what the kingdom of God is like, comparing it to workers in a vineyard. The vineyard owner is seen as benevolent and generous to the last comers, paying them as much as the first.

I saw a bumper sticker a couple of months ago that made me laugh. It read, "Yes, Jesus loves you - but I'm his favourite". The truth is we are all his favourites. This seems a contradiction and in the world's eyes it is. However, in Jesus' eyes I am his favourite brother. 

My mother became a believer on her deathbed aged ninety-two. I saw the generosity of God at work. Ninety-two years of professed atheism was forgotten in an instant as mum received the promises of God in all its fullness. She was denied nothing.

Generosity is held up by Jesus as a great virtue. It's time I worked on it.

Jesus, you are generous to me. Help me be as generous to others I meet in my day.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: