Thursday, May 12, 2022

Welcome

I tell you most solemnly, whoever welcomes the one I send welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me.
Jn.13:20

Jesus has just washed the disciples feet at the Last Supper, defining the role of servanthood as the main activity of his followers. He then establishes their character... welcome.

Call it hospitality, helpfulness, welcomeness, friendliness... you know when you encounter it and it is beautiful. Jesus says it represents a line of authority that can be traced back through him to God the Father. Welcome is a virtue to be practiced. Like all virtues, it starts as a decision but grows into a natural part of character.

Today I choose to practice welcome. 

Jesus, help me serve with a welcoming heart today and so be an authentic witness for you.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

No comments: