Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Come Holy Spirit

It is for your own good that I am going because unless I go, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I do go, I will send him to you.
Jn.16:7

Jesus continues his final discourse to his disciples. He promises that his leaving will be good as it means the Holy spirit will then come to them.

Jesus is trying to convey that his coming death is not the end of the story. In fact, it is just the beginning. He makes the confusing, even outrageous claim that it is best for him to leave.  The disciples don't get the message, until Pentecost. Then the whole thing makes sense. 

I was blessed in being baptised in the Holy Spirit early in my Christian walk. I never had that period of uncertainty and confusion. I got the whole message from the start. Yielding to the Holy Spirit is not an optional extra. It's essential. 

Come, Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and kindle in them the fire of your love. Send forth your Spirit and they shall be created. And you shall renew the face of the earth.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us.

 

No comments: