Wednesday, September 8, 2021

What a Friend I've Found

Now all this took place to fulfil the words spoken by the Lord through the prophet: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son and they will call him Emmanuel, a name which means ‘God-is-with-us.’
Mt.1:22,23

Following the long genealogy of Jesus, Matthew writes of the circumstances of Jesus' birth. Mary is silent in these verses, all action focussing on Joseph and his wrestling with what to do. It's high drama that can only be made sense of by the words of the prophet Isaiah, "they will call him Emmanuel, a name which means ‘God-is-with-us."

God becoming man. This is unique to our Christian faith. Jesus being Emmanuel, God with me, stops him from being some distant, cold deity. He is my friend, my best friend right beside me. I am never alone, I always have his assured presence, he is the source of my joy today.

What a friend I've found 
Closer than a brother 
I have felt your touch 
More intimate than lovers 
Jesus, Jesus 
Jesus, friend forever

Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us.



No comments: