Friday, September 24, 2021

New Glory

The new glory of this Temple is going to surpass the old, says the Lord of Hosts, and in this place I will give peace – it is the Lord of Hosts who speaks.
Hag.2:9

The prophet Haggai stands with the remnant Israelites looking on the destroyed Temple. With the eyes of faith, he doesn't see ruins and destruction, he sees a rebuilt temple more glorious than the last.

Life has its ruins. Marriages that were joyous and full of hope on the wedding day now a train wreck. Bodies that were young, full of life and vigor now thin, frail shadows from the ravages of sickness. Careers formerly full of promise now derailed and languishing. 

God doesn't see wreckage. He sees restoration. I've heard it said that God's favourite building material is broken lives. He makes gold out of miry clay, sinners into saints. And to restored lives he gives peace and with that, joy. 

Never give up. Stay in the ring and continue the fight. Don't focus on the ruins but on the restoration. This is the source of my hope and joy today.

Thank you Jesus that you don't dwell on the wreckage in my life. Help me always look up to what you see in me. Let me help others do the same.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

 

No comments: