Thursday, September 2, 2021

Shine

They filled the two boats to sinking point. When Simon Peter saw this he fell at the knees of Jesus saying, ‘Leave me, Lord; I am a sinful man.’ For he and all his companions were completely overcome by the catch they had made.
Lk.5:7-9

After using Peter's boat as a stage to address the people, Jesus tells Peter to again put out his nets. Reluctantly Peter obeys and hauls in the catch of a lifetime. He gains a glimpse of who Jesus is, a holy man, and clear insight of who he is, a sinner.

Sitting in our lounge in the evening, I don't realise how dark it has become until I turn on the light. The light exposes the darkness. Peter has a similar lightbulb moment. Darkness creeps up on a man. The light of Jesus instantly exposes it for what it is.

Jesus doesn't leave Peter on his knees. He lifts him up, renames him and makes him into a holy miracle worker. He can do the same with me, but I have to start on my knees.

Jesus, please don't leave me on my knees. Shine into my life so I can reflect you to those I meet today.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.



 

No comments: