Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Mercy not Fire

The disciples James and John said, ‘Lord, do you want us to call down fire from heaven to burn them up?’ But he turned and rebuked them, and they went off to another village.
Lk.9:54-56

Jesus is refused entry into a Samaritan village because he signals he is a Jew, his destination being Jerusalem. James and John want to punish the village which earns them the rebuke of Jesus.

James and John, the "Sons of Thunder", what to burn the villagers up.  After all, the village has unwittingly insulted God. Instead of passing judgement and inflicting punishment, Jesus gives mercy. This foreshadows what is about to happen from the Cross where Jesus intercedes for those who are crucifying him. They know not what they do.

There's a lot of James and John in me. I'm strong on judgement, weak on mercy. Pope Francis is strong on mercy and this makes some in the Church nervous. Judgement is so neat and tidy and... well... just. Mercy gives the initiative back to the perpetrators and they may not respond the way I want. But mercy is the way to change people's hearts. It worked on me. I need to have the grace to give space for mercy to work on others.

Jesus, thank you for extending mercy to me. Help me be a channel of mercy to the people I meet today.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us.



No comments: