Monday, September 27, 2021

Least is Great

For the least among you all, that is the one who is great.
Lk.9:48

Jesus has just stopped and argument between the disciples as to who is the greatest by presenting the answer before them. A little child.

Jesus brought in a new world order, the upside down pyramid with the greatest at the bottom supporting and serving all those above.  For Jesus, greatness is measured by humility. This was and continues to be countercultural. The world adulates the the rich, the beautiful and the powerful. Jesus tells us to pray behind closed doors, give with one hand while the other doesn't see it, be the last, serve all, be humble, be poor to be blessed. 

If I'm honest I'd have to say I don't find this easy. My flesh craves adulation and power. Yet on this point Jesus is uncompromising. If I am to be an authentic follower I am to be a servant to the small and weak. It's the "Love others" put into action.

Jesus, you know I would have been arguing with the disciples as to my greatness. Help me act with humility and service to be great in your eyes.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us.


No comments: