Monday, August 16, 2021

Wish to be Perfect

‘If you wish to be perfect, go and sell what you own and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.’ But when the young man heard these words he went away sad, for he was a man of great wealth.
Mt.19:20,21

A pious young man asks Jesus what more is needed for him to possess eternal life. Jesus zeros in on the one thing in the man's life he has yet to surrender, his wealth.

Wealth is hard to let go of but I think this scripture is less about the rich entering the Kingdom than it is about surrender. I have many areas I haven't let Jesus be Lord of. 

The $20 note looks huge on the collection plate but tiny at the cafe I'm currently sitting in. Another "possession" I cling to is time. Grandchildren put the spotlight on this area. Their demand for attention is insatiable. 

What stops my surrender? Lack of trust that God will meet all my needs, which essentially is lack of faith. The invitation from Jesus to "Come, follow me" is before me again today. This means walking away from my feeble, grasping and towards Jesus' generous, open-handed generosity. 

Jesus, yes I believe. Help me in my unbelief. I place my trust in you.
Saint Philip Neri, pray for me.


No comments: