Thursday, August 19, 2021

Dress Code

“How did you get in here, my friend, without a wedding garment?” And the man was silent. Then the king said to the attendants, “Bind him hand and foot and throw him out into the dark, where there will be weeping and grinding of teeth.” For many are called, but few are chosen.’
Mt.22:12-14

Jesus is telling a parable to explain the kingdom of  heaven, using  a wedding banquet as an example. After specific guests refuse to attend, the door is opened to alcomers, good and bad alike. However, even among the casual attendees a certain standard of dress is required. 

I remember attending my older sister's wedding in the late 1960's. A classic hippie affair with loads of long hair and kaftans, and that was just the guys. As "casual" as the dress was, there was an expected standard, a dress code that reflected the specialness of the occasion. 

What I'm reading from the parable is that God's kingdom is a banquet and while all are invited a certain standard, a specific response acknowledging where we are and what is going on is required. The King will choose some and expel others. 

I guess what I do with my days prior to entering the kingdom is like spinning the cloth by which I will be clothed. It needs to be a garment worthy of the banquet.

Jesus, help me make the best cloth out of my day today that I may be worthily dressed before you.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.





No comments: