Thursday, August 12, 2021

Forgive and Forgive Again

“You wicked servant,” he said “I cancelled all that debt of yours when you appealed to me. Were you not bound, then, to have pity on your fellow servant just as I had pity on you?” And in his anger the master handed him over to the torturers till he should pay all his debt. And that is how my heavenly Father will deal with you unless you each forgive your brother from your heart.’
Mt.18:32-35

In answer to Peter's question "How often must I forgive?", Jesus tells one of his longest parables. Forgiveness, according to Jesus, is not optional, it's essential. 

The parables Jesus told were stories with a point. The point of the story about the unforgiving servant is to forgive and forgive from your heart or you will be tortured. I've met people with unforgiveness in their heart and "tortured" is an accurate description of them. Choosing not to forgive is like drinking poison in the hope the other person will die. 

Grace, mercy and forgiveness are the hallmarks of our God. They are the outworkings of his love. They are meant to be the hallmarks of a true believer, the hallmarks of me. Are they easy? No. Are they possible? Yes, with Jesus' help, today I can be a channel of forgiveness.

Jesus, you modeled forgiveness even up onto the cross, praying for your torturers. I find heartfelt forgiveness hard. Help me soften my heart like yours and be a channel of grace, mercy and forgiveness.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us.

No comments: