Friday, August 13, 2021

Blessed and Married

The disciples said to him, ‘If that is how things are between husband and wife, it is not advisable to marry.’ But he replied, ‘It is not everyone who can accept what I have said, but only those to whom it is granted.
Mt.19:10,11

Some Pharisees have tried to entrap Jesus with a question on marriage and divorce. Jesus emphasises that God is behind every marriage, that man is not to act contrary to the will of God by divorcing and that celibacy is only for those to whom it has been granted. 

If we followed the disciples' plan the human race would be gone in a generation. Jesus clearly identifies celibacy as a gift for some. For others, myself included, marriage is a gift. Neither state is superior, both are God given. It's probably time I reaffirmed to my wife that she is a gift to me for which I am so very grateful.

Jesus you were celibate and yet so pro-marriage. I thank you again for the gift of Kate, for joining us in marriage. I am a blessed, married  man. 
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us.


No comments: