Friday, August 27, 2021

Fill the Flask

The other bridesmaids arrived later. “Lord, Lord,” they said “open the door for us.” But he replied, “I tell you solemnly, I do not know you.” So stay awake, because you do not know either the day or the hour.’
Mt.25:11,12,13

To describe the coming of the Kingdom of Heaven Jesus tells the parable of the ten bridesmaids. Five are wise and have extra lamp oil, five are foolish and do not and so miss entering the wedding banquet. 

Jesus emphasises that entering heaven is not a given. On judgement day everyone is not simply going to drift up to the pearly gates. Some will be ready and welcomed in, some will not be ready and will be denied entry even though they plead. 

Mercy and grace are involved here so I wouldn't presume to judge others by this rule. However, I can judge myself. Is my oil flask full? Does my light continue to shine? Drawing on the sacraments of the Church, my morning and evening prayer all help keep my lamp burning. 

Oil gets consumed by the burning of the light so filling the flask is not a one-off thing. I can't bask in past flask-filling glories. Burning the lamp is a constant thing so filling the flask needs to be also.

Jesus, I sometimes fall asleep at the wheel. I'm not always awake and ready with a full flask and shining light. On the day of your return may your mercy triumph over judgement.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


 

No comments: