Thursday, August 5, 2021

What's in a Name

But he turned and said to Peter, ‘Get behind me, Satan! You are an obstacle in my path, because the way you think is not God’s way but man’s.’
Mt. 16:23

Peter has just remonstrated with Jesus, begging that Jesus not experience the passion and death he has just prophesied. Jesus rebukes Peter and confirms the redeeming plan of God that will save mankind at Jesus' own cost.

Peter has received from Jesus the highest praise and now the strongest rebuke. At first a happy man with a Godly vision of who Jesus is and then an agent of Satan attempting to foil God's plan of redemption. The wild swings of Peter shows his frail humanity. 

Yet, Peter becomes a rock. This encourages me to get back up when I'm knocked down by my weak humanity, when my ways are not God's ways. Like Saint Paul, I can be struck down but not destroyed. 

Jesus, you renamed Saint Peter and he became who you said he was, the Rock. Rename me so I may be who you say I am.
Saint Peter, please pray for me.



No comments: