Saturday, August 21, 2021

First into Battle

The greatest among you must be your servant. Anyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and anyone who humbles himself will be exalted.
Mt.23:11,12

Jesus has just warned his disciples not to practice what the Pharisees do, whose sole intent is to exalt themselves. A true disciple of God is one who is humble.

In the Chronicles of Narnia Aslan crowns Peter as High King with the words, "You must be first into battle and last in retreat".  The High King was to lead by service to those of whom he was in command. This is true of any Christian leadership, especially for fathers in the home.

My role at home is changing with grandchildren. I'm finding myself reading children's stories again, playing board games I haven't in years, praying over and blessing. All of this is "first into battle" stuff that I used to do with my own children. When I struggle with giving the time I need to put it back into this right perspective. True leadership serves.

Jesus, you are the Servant King. Help me follow your example with joy.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

No comments: