Wednesday, August 11, 2021

At Home with the Oddballs

I tell you solemnly once again, if two of you on earth agree to ask anything at all, it will be granted to you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three meet in my name, I shall be there with them.
Mt.18:20

Jesus is instructing on how to deal with sin in the Church. While highlighting the authority that is held by the community of believers he adds he has a special presence when two or more gather in his name.

Does this mean Jesus isn't present when I pray alone, like now? Of course not. It's just that there is an anointing from him, a special power when believers gather. It's called Church and it is what Jesus spent his time on earth building. We are not meant to be lone ranger Christians. 

My home parish is the smallest in the city. But, it's my home. I love it, despite the oddballs. Perhaps it's because of the oddballs that I feel so at home there. Whatever the reason, there's a special anointing on me when I join my parish community. I meet Jesus there, everytime.

Thank you Jesus for Church, for your faithfulness in "being there" each time we gather in your name.
Saint Philip Neri, encourager of parishes, please pray for us.

No comments: