Thursday, August 26, 2021

Waiting means Working

What sort of servant, then, is faithful and wise enough for the master to place him over his household to give them their food at the proper time? Happy that servant if his master’s arrival finds him at this employment.
Mt.24:45,46

Jesus is warning his disciples to be ready for the day of judgement that can occur at any day or any hour. He highlights the best attitude in which to wait, diligently working on that which you have been assigned.

Work is the result of faith and wisdom, faith that Jesus will return as he said he would, wisdom to see value in the work assigned. The work Jesus describes is looking after a household, meeting their daily needs.

I have retirement approaching, a time to put my feet up and rest while waiting for God, right? No! According to Jesus, waiting doesn't mean resting, it means working. I have a household of one wife, five children, fourteen (last count) grandchildren, four hangers-on (sons and daughter-in-law). That makes twenty-four souls. My work has been cut out...

Jesus, your greatest work was achieved in the last moments of your life, on the Cross. Help me never have a lazy sense of entitlement. Let me be found working in the vineyard you have placed me.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: