Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Death, Where is Your Sting?

I tell you, most solemnly, unless a wheat grain falls on the ground and dies, it remains only a single grain; but if it dies, it yields a rich harvest.
Jn.12:24

Jesus has just entered Jerusalem in triumph with the people celebrating him as king. He knows his passion and death are just around the corner and so tells his disciples death is not to be feared. It is part of the plan. 

Today we celebrate the feast of Saint Lawrence, one of the martyrs of the early Church in Rome. He famously presents the poor and lame as the treasures of the Church being demanded by the Roman Prefect. It cost him his life but his example of courage and charity have lived on through the millenia. He showed that for a Christian, death is not something to be avoided at all costs. His hope lay in the eternal promises of Jesus. 

When death, dieing to self, is seen as part of the plan, it loses its sting. Today I celebrate my gift of life but I hold it loosely. This is not easy but it's essential if I am to be a true believer.

Jesus, you died for me. Help me live my life for you even when it means dieing for you.
Saint Lawrence, please pray for us.

No comments: