Friday, May 14, 2021

Work the Orchard

You did not choose me: no, I chose you; and I commissioned you to go out and to bear fruit, fruit that will last;
Jn.15:16

Jesus is giving his final teaching to his disciples. He tells them their being a follower is not from their choice but from his. They were chosen by Jesus for a purpose, to bear lasting fruit.

This choosing and commissioning continues today. I have been chosen. Sometimes, in my arrogance, I think I have chosen Jesus, as though he is something on a shelf I can take or leave. No, I have been chosen by him and I have been commissioned. 

What is the lasting fruit I am to bear? I think the fruit Jesus had in mind was people, was souls that live forever. So, wherever I encounter people is my orchard. My family, my parish, the Alpha Course, my workplace. This is my orchard. 

How am I to bear fruit? Jesus gives the answer a few versus on. Love them.

Thank you Jesus for choosing me. Despite all my brokenness you think I am up to the task. Help me to love today.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us.



No comments: