Thursday, May 20, 2021

Intentional Empathy

Holy Father, I pray not only for these, but for those also who through their words will believe in me. May they all be one.
Jn.17:20,21

Jesus is giving his final prayer before his passion and death. He prays not only for his current disciples but for those yet to believe and his prayer is for unity.

Jesus knew disunity was going to be a problem. He knew human nature. In his final prayer recorded in the Gospel of John, Jesus comes back again and again to the need for unity "so the world may believe". Unity is compelling, disunity is repelling. 

When it comes to my faith community, how unifying are my actions? How unifying are my thoughts? Sometimes good, sometimes not so good. I'm quick to judge which is a sure fire way of causing distancing and disunity. Empathy draws me to a person. Let today be a day for intentional empathy, that we may all be one "so that the world may believe." Jn.17:23

Forgive me Lord for the times I have caused disunity. Help me become a natural empathiser that we may all be one even if we disagree. 

No comments: